As a typical stressed our college student, I don’t have much time to cook. But I do have a secret strategy that helps me eat well during the busiest of weeks. I’ve designated my Sundays as “cooking days” so I prepare all my food for the week by filling my fridge with nutritious staple ingredients.
What’s in my fridge:
– Sweet Potato Hash (made with coconut oil and cinnamon in a skillet)
– Quinoa and Spinach cakes (purchased from Costco)
– Chopped apples
– Cooked apple and turkey sausage
– Chopped strawberries
– Cooked and chopped chicken
– Peeled hard-boiled egg
– Salted almond dark chocolate
– Steel cut oats (Purchased from whole foods, good quality oats are the best!)
– 2 Oranges
It may seem like a motley collection, but these items are great staples to make endless , delicious combinations!
Breakfast: Two hard-boiled eggs, oatmeal with cinnamon and fresh strawberries
Lunch: Salad with apples and pistachios, eat a sausage if you are still hungry!
Mid Afternoon snack: Two quinoa cakes
Dinner: Chicken and pesto on a bed of spinach with a side of warm sweet potato hash
We may all be busy people, but we need not compromise food! If you spend the time preparing, it will pay off.
Written by contributing writer Kenzie Bosmeny